Sunday, November 2, 2008

Just for fun...

... here's a quick stab at translating the raining poem from my last post for y'all. I'm not going to take the time to make it rhyme or anything, but it's still quite nice.

Il pleure dans mon coeur
There is crying in my heart
Comme il pleut sur la ville ;
Like there's rainfall on the town;
Quelle est cette langueur
What is this languor
Qui pénètre mon coeur ?
That penetrates my heart?

Ô bruit doux de la pluie
Oh, soft sound of the rain
Par terre et sur les toits !
On the ground, and on the rooves!
Pour un coeur qui s'ennuie,
For a listless heart,
Ô le chant de la pluie !
Oh, the song of the rain!

Il pleure sans raison
There is crying for no reason
Dans ce coeur qui s'écoeure.
In this heartbroken heart.
Quoi ! nulle trahison ?...
What! No betrayal?...
Ce deuil est sans raison.
This mourning has no reason.

C'est bien la pire peine
It's truly the worst pain
De ne savoir pourquoi
To not know why
Sans amour et sans haine
With no love and no hate
Mon coeur a tant de peine !
My heart knows such pain!

Hmm... little melodramatic, maybe. But trust me, the words are very lovely in French.

No comments: