Saturday, November 8, 2008

I love my husband.

It is true. I do. I say this now especially because he is on the back deck, sanding down and installing a window pane. Why, you ask? The short answer is that today has been far more eventful than I had hoped. Eventful days are not necessarily bad... it's just that they usually end up being expensive.

The long answer is this: I took the dogs on a lovely run this morning. Somewhere between 6 and 7 miles all over Berkeley - we went through campus and some of the really nice neighborhoods in North Berkeley, where the streets are winding and hilly, the houses are big, and there are big, beautiful trees and parks for all the rich people who can afford to live there. The weather was fantastic - about 60 degrees with a very slight breeze, and I felt great.

We got back and the dogs totally crashed. I made pancakes for me and Roger, Rye curled up in his chair, and Huck sprawled out asleep on the bed. This has become somewhat of a Saturday morning ritual, and it's very nice. I was getting ready to head over to check out the 4th street shopping district, a nice trendy up-and-coming sort of area just northwest of here, because a girl I know works in a gourmet cheese shop, and I thought I'd take the opportunity to go taste some gourmet cheese, say hi, and see what other shops are over there. As I'm looking up the best route to get there on the computer, I hear this weird, loud crashing sound and Roger yelling, "Huck, no!!!" I go running into the bedroom as Huck comes running out. There is broken glass everywhere and the window is shattered. A lady was apparently walking by with her dog, and Huck attacked the window, like he does sometimes. He wasn't hurt at all (thank goodness), but I immediately became extremely depressed. Bordering on slight despair, really. It's Saturday, it's supposed to rain today, and we have a hopelessly shattered window that we can't afford to repair. Great.

Not only that, but there is nowhere open to repair the window even if we had the money. I find a guy who apparently does great work, but he's not open until Monday morning, and charges a minimum $105 labor. And all the reviews I find for his store say he's by far the cheapest they've found. Excellent. This just keeps getting better. I'm wondering if we can tape up some cardboard until Monday and just trust that one of the four or five jobs Roger applied to this week will get back to him soon...

Roger says he thinks he can repair it himself if he can get the window out of the wall, and if we can get the glass cut and find some window glaze. I search some more for glass cutting places, and it turns out the Ace Hardware in downtown Berkeley cuts glass, and they're open seven days a week. I call over, and they have a big enough piece of the right thickness, and they can cut it for me. I take the bus over, get the glass, plus the glaze and some glazing points (I learned some new words today), and it comes out to $30! Truly excellent, no sarcasm this time.

The only down side is they refuse to put it in cardboard for me, so I have to carry this big sheet of glass to the bus stop and back home on the bus, but at least it stopped raining, and I made it home without breaking the thing.

That is the story of why Roger is on the back deck sanding down and installing a window pane, and why I love my husband.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

These husbands do come in handy sometimes don't they. Just kidding, I wouldn't want to live
without mine. We have 53 yrs
coming up in a few days. Glad to
hear Huck is all right. I'll bet it scared him silly tho for awhile.
Much love,

Grandma and Grandpa