Sunday, December 14, 2008

Happy, happy day

No, Roger doesn't have a job yet, but today, this is almost just as good: my wonderful husband fixed our furnace!!

The story is, our furnace didn't work when we first moved in, but we didn't care, obviously, because this is California. The guy who came to turn on our gas when we moved in said the valve in the furnace would need to be replaced, but we were in no rush, so I didn't worry about it. I thought we might even be able to make it through the winter without central heat. Well, suddenly in the past week or so, it has gotten a little on the cold side. Compared to how it has been, it actually feels cold, but I'm trying to keep a good Midwestern perspective on things. It still only gets down in the 40's overnight, and has been heating up to the mid-50's during the day. But since our house is pretty much the same temperature as it is outside, I just haven't been able to warm up. We've been trying to tough it out, though; we have a space heater, so I just put it on in the office while I do work, and it's fine... but it's just kind of... yucky and inconvenient.

Anyway, so I finally caved on Thursday and emailed our landlord to have him send someone to fix the furnace, and he talked to his wife about scheduling someone to come out next week. But the great news is that Roger was troubleshooting today and discovered that the wiring between the furnace and the thermostat wasn't hooked up properly. He re-wired it, and voila - wonderful, wonderful heat. We have returned to civilization!

So it is now an extremely cozy day. It's raining pretty steadily outside, and I'm huddled up in my office drinking tea and writing my last paper of the semester. Ahhhhh.

As long as I'm rambling on, I'll just add that the job outlook is still positive but uncertain. Roger said the two guys he interviewed with have been saying very promising things along the lines of "we'll be in touch next week about an offer for you", which clearly seems to suggest they're going to offer him the job, right? Otherwise it would just be like "we'll be in touch" or "thank you for your time" or something. Anyway, they're supposed to get back to him by Wednesday, so we are keeping all of our fingers and toes crossed.

And my Mommy is coming a week from today! I was mentally preparing an email along the lines of "Dear Mommy, make sure you bring extra clothes, because the overnight lows this week will be around 35..." but now we will all be warm and cozy together for Christmas. Yay!

Ok, back to writing my paper...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy for you, both the furnace
and Peg coming out. I envy her
being there with you for Christmas. Oh well, someday we can
have Christmas together again. I'm not going to be sad, I'm not going
to be sad, I'm just not. Who's
convinced?

Love Grandma and Grandpa

Anonymous said...

you HAVE to update this now, silly girl :) 4 days......... yay!!