Thursday, November 7, 2013

Que le temps passe vite!

Ohhh the shame.  Two months since my last update!  No blog posts at all in the month of October!  I am so, so slacking.

I don't even know what my problem is.  It's not like I don't have things to talk about.  I'm in a new town, and I really like it, even!  I have some new friends, and we do fun stuff sometimes, even!  I had an awesome trip up to Niagara Falls to visit my friend from Berkeley, even!  And it's not like I'm working so hard that I never have free time or something.  Far from it, in fact.

Let's see, what am I up to these days?  I'll do a quick update in the next few minutes, and then I'll try to do a post dedicated to Niagara Falls/Buffalo soon.

- I can't write for too long this morning because I am subbing for a friend/colleague who is at a conference this week, and she needs someone to cover her class.  So I have to show up and play a movie for some undergrads, and have them fill out attendance cards.

- Speaking of teaching, I have a meeting tomorrow to find out what class I'm teaching next semester.  I have my fingers crossed for Intro to Psycholinguistics, but if there's not enough enrollment, I'll be doing First Language Acquisition.  Either would be fine, I guess, but I'm hoping for Psycholing because I've never taught it before and I'm more comfortable with the subject material.

- I don't really know where the time goes.  I have lots of meetings, and I do lots of reading.  I've been writing a lot lately because I'm applying for a grant (due on Monday), and trying to submit a paper for publication before I apply.  I'm also applying for two other grants, and probably a job (all in the first week of December - yikes), but I'm not quite thinking about that yet.  Before that, I have to finish the grant I'm working on, plus submit this paper, and submit a short response paper, plus I was hoping to have my dissertation stuff submitted somewhere by the end of this month, but that's looking less likely now.  I'm presenting a poster at the ASA in San Francisco the first week of December, so making a good poster is my first priority.  And I'm giving two talks that week, so I should probably work on those too!  See, it sounds like I should be really busy, but I don't really feel that busy.

- I'll be in Berkeley really soon, and I can't wait!  I get in on November 25th and am staying until December 9th.  Two weeks!  Lots of time to hang out, see friends, check out the old haunts.  I. can. not. wait.

- But before that, I have a conference in Toronto… a week from today!  Whoa!  A week from today I will be driving up to Toronto with some folks from my lab group.  It's only about 5 1/2 hours (isn't that crazy?) so we're carpooling to save some money.  I don't have to present anything at this conference, either - I'm just supposed to hang out and check it out, so that will be pretty fun, I think!

- Umm, I did a half marathon the weekend before last.  It was great, actually, but sort of… unceremonious.  I finished in two hours even, so I basically met my goal, which was unexpected and awesome.  I've been trying to up my running, because I freaking love fall, and I love to be outside enjoying the crisp fall air, but it's been sort of hard when we don't get that much daylight.  I've been having a horrible time waking up in the morning… it's a little better now that the time has changed back, and it gets light around 6:45 instead of 7:45.  I could conceivably go running in the mornings now, I suppose, but I haven't gotten my act together enough to actually do that.

Well, I'm getting antsy because I have to get ready to head to campus.  But I will do a Niagara Falls post soon!  And maybe I will talk about my new friends, too.  The super short version is that I have three postdoc friends, and they're totally awesome, and I've also gotten a bit closer with my neighbor (whose class I'm covering this morning).  So, life is good!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am SO happy you wrote this. I just can't talk to you long enough to find out all this stuff you've got going on! Very much looking forward to the next post-please don't wait 2 mos.!! You still planning a trip home the weekend before Thanks.? We need to talk- I'm off on Sun. Love you sweetheart! So glad everything sounds so great.