Thursday, November 7, 2013

Niagara Falls

I'm back!

I'm back because I'm home and don't know what else to do with myself, because I don't want to work tonight --

-- phone call from my postdoc advisor.  Turns out I don't have to teach next semester if I don't want to! So now I have to decide if I want to teach.  Interesting. --

Anyway, yeah, not working any more tonight because my grant isn't due until Tuesday, and it's actually in pretty good shape.  It's not quite there, but I have several days to make what are some relatively minor edits and additions at this point, so I'm just about done worrying about it.

So I might as well tell you about my trip to Niagara Falls!

I didn't drive up with the express purpose of seeing Niagara Falls, of course.  I went to go visit my friend!


M is originally from Buffalo, is a current grad student at Berkeley, but is back in Buffalo for this semester.  I drove up to visit her a few weeks back, and it was such a beautiful drive.  Man, driving through the Appalachians and up into western New York with fall in full swing… not something I ever thought I would experience, but it was absolutely gorgeous, and I'm so glad I got the chance to do it.

So seeing M was wonderful, of course (I really miss her!), and she was super excited to take me to see Niagara Falls, which is like a 15 minute drive from her house.  Isn't that crazy?  I can't even imagine growing up right by Niagara Falls.





The pictures really don't do it justice.  The amount of power behind that incredible amount of water is absolutely mind-blowing.  It was surprisingly scary, actually!





So I had a wonderful weekend, and it was a really neat experience, and really nice to catch up with my friend!

I also just downloaded these pictures from my phone, and there was this one from the Color Run, a 5K I did back in September:




It's weird; you can't tell at all from this picture how much weird chalk-paint I had on myself.  That… was maybe an experience for another post.

Anyway, Niagara was awesome, I live in a really gorgeous part of the country, and I am really happy to have a car so that I can get out and see it!

Speaking of that, Jevon was here a few weekends ago, and we went back to Fallingwater so he could check it out, and so I could try to get a better tour guide this time!  I think the trip was a success on both counts.

Okay, that's probably enough from me for now.  Two posts in one day, imagine that!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

well, yeah, having a car enables you to see and experience so much and at your whim. I want to see the power of Niagara- good for you to drive up there. We're going exploring one of these days my girl- maybe stay at the Poconas?

Unknown said...

Poconos.