Sunday, March 18, 2012

view from my kitchen window


It's been raining for the past week solid; a cold, drizzly, misty rain that just makes you want a hot shower, a blanket, and a book.  But the trees are all blooming, and it feels like it's just about to be perfect and gorgeous out if we can hang on for a few more weeks.  We haven't had much rain at all this season, and I know we must need it.  The ground is pleasantly green and brown and mushy, and the creek that runs through campus is finally looking like a respectable creek instead of a slightly parched trickle.

This is the last week of classes before Spring Break, and I'm looking forward to a very good two weeks.  I have a big pile of grading to get through today, and a chapter to read, and a script to work on, but I'm headed to some friends' for dinner tonight, to hang out and play with their brand new litter of kittens, and a week from today, I'll be on a Spring Break vacation to Santa Barbara!

Ooh, I guess I should also add that the Napa Valley Marathon went very well, and I had an excellent time.  It was my slowest one yet, but I had a very enjoyable run and have recovered very quickly; the race was two weeks ago today, and I was ready for a short run the Thursday after the race.  I even did 5 miles yesterday morning, and even though I still feel a little out of breath when I run or go up lots of stairs, my muscles feel great, and I got a really nice shot of endorphins from just getting out and getting a little sweaty yesterday.  I'm still addicted, apparently.

Me, towards the tail end of the race.
I need to get to work now, but I'll be updating again relatively soon with lots of pictures of Santa Barbara, assuming all goes as planned!

2 comments:

JadeEJF said...

Wow- what a great photo! I meant to leave a comment on the last post about how beautiful your new place looked, and how much I wish I was there right now instead of here, where it's rainy and grey and I feel like we'll never see sunshine. Thanks for posting some sunny springy lovely stuff- it's so cheerful :) And congrats on the marathon! <3 I can't remember if/when you were planning to go to Portland (perhaps you have gone already?), but it might be hard to visit- our friends there that we normally crash with just moved to Denver :P If you are going, though, let me know- I'll take any excuse to get down there :D

Anonymous said...

bye honey, hope your trip is a blast!
I love you!!!
Mommy