Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A quick update about this week

Hi all!

I'm glad to see some of the people I care most about in Illinois have found their way to my blog! Thanks for the comments, everyone - I miss you all!

This is just a very quick update about what's going on this week. Yesterday was the first day since we've been here that it was actually cloudy all day. Sometimes it's cloudy in the morning as the fog rolls off the Bay and up and over the hills, but yesterday it actually stayed cloudy all day and was still cloudy this morning. Then the sun came out around noon and it was sunny, as usual. :)

It feels so much like fall right now, though. It was downright chilly yesterday and has been borderline chilly today - I'm wearing long pants and a long-sleeved shirt, and that feels just about right when I'm standing outside. It's really cold on my bike, though!

This week has been weird because I had an assignment due Tuesday that took a long time, so I only got about 5.75 hours sleep on Monday night. Then I was tired yesterday and didn't get too much done, and now it's probably time for me to get some more work done, since I have another assignment due Friday.

I have fellowships on the brain right now. We got a reminder email this week that the application deadline for the Jacob K. Javits fellowship is on October 3rd. I hadn't even considered applying for it, since I didn't realize I'm eligible, but it turns out I am, so I'm slightly scrambling to get an application together. Then I have my National Science Foundation fellowship application coming up in November, but it's a lot more involved than the Javits one, so it's going to take a lot more thought. If I get either of these, they'll pay all of my tuition plus $30,000 a year for living expenses. Wouldn't that be great? (Yes, yes it would.)

So that's my week. I'll update some more about the specific projects I have in the works (in case someone cares about that), but for now it's time for me to get back to my bread-making. We got a butternut squash in our CSA this week, so I'm making butternut squash bread. Yum.

I hope you're all doing great, and I hope to talk to you all soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all of your awesome updates. I loved your grading of the city, and especially loved the pictures!!!

Anonymous said...

I got you a now-you're-a-grad.-student-present to keep you warm on your bike.

your trying-to-keep-you-from-getting-sick mommy :)