Monday, October 8, 2012

good (non-productive, oops) weekend

There were so many things I was going to do this weekend, and yet, here it is Sunday night, and how many of them got done...?

Well, one, at least.  I accidentally started my dissertation today, I think.  I was going to write an abstract, but instead it came out too long and detailed, and I think it's now an introduction.  So hey, that's pretty awesome.

One of my good friends and her husband were also in town, and I got to hang out with them today, eat delicious Nepalese food, and talk to her about my dissertation experiment.  She's a great artist, and also a child language researcher, and she has agreed (happily, it seems!) to draw the pictures for my dissertation experiments.  I'm teaching words to preschoolers, so I need lots of fun, colored pictures of real words and the ones I made up for the experiment, and I think my friend is uniquely qualified to draw those for me.  They also helped me brainstorm about games I can play with the kids to teach them the words, and we came up with some really good, workable ideas.  So that was actually pretty awesome too.

And oh yeah!  I received the news today that the course I proposed has been approved for summer semester 2013, which means I'll be the instructor of record for a course on Language Acquisition for Berkeley undergrads this summer.  No direct supervisor, no one else in charge of organizing, giving lectures, deciding on course material and readings, just little ol' me.  I am teaching my very own class at UC Berkeley!  And I am ridiculously excited about that!

And I went out for Ethiopian food on Friday night with Jevon and another friend, and it was so so so good.

So really, I had an excellent weekend.  And it wasn't even that un-productive, I just... wanted to get some other stuff done and didn't quite make it.

Oh well.

1 comment:

gobbomom said...

hi babe. I'm glad I checked this finally; your class and dissertation situations sound really exciting! Congratulations!! That's excellent news.
love, mommy