Thursday, February 26, 2009

Feeling Like a Rock Star

Today, quite simply, rocked. My phone rang at 7:00 this morning with a 202 area code, and since I knew one of the fellowships I applied for is required to be announced before March 1st, I had a good feeling.

And now I have a great feeling because I HAVE A FOUR YEAR FELLOWSHIP FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION.

That's right, my friends, I am a newly-named Jacob K. Javits Fellow, and my tuition, fees, and living stipend will be paid for by YOU, the taxpayers of our great nation, for the next four years.

Did I mention how much that rocks? With the California budget in such a sorry state of affairs, it is such a relief to know for absolutely, positively certain that I have funding until I finish my dissertation.

Rock.

In other news, I got my hair cut today! I finally bit the bullet and went super short. I think it's a pretty good Berkeley grad student haircut, don't you?


It kind of freaks me out how much I look like my mom in these pictures.

Ok, there are too many boys rough-housing in this room and I can't concentrate anymore, so I have to go!

3 comments:

704Studio said...

Congrats, Melinda, very good news indeed. Nothing surprises me about all your success, you and Roger definitely deserve it.

Great haircut - You look really different, and good!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news, we are so
happy for you! Congratulations.
And yes I love your new do.You
look so chic and sophisticated.
I've always wanted Peg to get her
hair cut like that. I got a new
haircut too but I look more like
a man. Oh well, I try.

Much love,
Gma and gpa

Anonymous said...

haha, you can stop holding your breath now, because A) you don't look a thing like me and B) you might've stumbled upon the reason your favorite professor was staring at you. Excellent, excellent, awesome news!!! CONGRATULATIONS!! WOW. Just wow. I'm gonna have to go look up that up now so I can be as impressed as I am proud and happy. Big smootch and a great big hug.