Friday, January 2, 2009

From Runner's World Online Today

"Everyone get a run in yesterday?

I did. And it was the most amazing run of my life.

No, nothing outwardly amazing happened—I wasn't moving very fast, didn't find a hundred dollar bill on a deserted street, wasn't running the full Boston Marathon course... My wife hadn't paid an elite to join me. The weather wasn't even that great.

It wasn't so remarkable inwardly, either. While I ran, my mind toggled through the usual laundry list of thoughts: bills to pay, projects to start (or finish), anxieties to face. Laundry. I didn't feel especially strong. I wasn't enjoying that effortless, fluid stride that sometimes comes like a gift.

I was just out there, putting in an easy 4 1/2 miles around the neighborhood on New Year's Day.

Only later, upon reflection, did it hit me: My run today was amazing not in spite of its mundane nature, but because of it.

In other words, my run today was great because it was my run. Today.

I'm one of the lucky few (and we are few, as a slice of the population) who is in on this wonderful, little secret: Running makes you feel good. It's good for you, in so many ways. And I'm doing it. I've been doing it so long, in fact, I've managed somehow to forget how incredible it is, that on any given day I can decide to go out and run, then do it. And come back feeling clearer, brighter, stronger, more relaxed.

It occurs to me that too often we take for granted these countless, everyday jaunts. The "in between" miles. We've been conditioned to see only milestone runs or marquee events as noteworthy or celebratory—running a PR, qualifying for Boston, doing a destination marathon or a relay like Hood to Coast.

All of those things are great, don't get me wrong. But as far as I'm concerned, in running as in life, true happiness lies in finding joy in seemingly smaller, more quotidian stuff. I'm not big into New Year's resolutions, but this year I just might have to adopt one: Remind myself every single day how lucky I am to be a runner.

Happy New Year, guys. Here's to many happy and healthy miles in 2009."

That pretty much says it all. Enjoy your run, everyone!

I'm also lucky enough to be headed off to a week in the Bahamas today, courtesy of the little bro, who's playing a big poker tournament there. I may be slightly incommunicado for the next few days, but I should be reachable by email, at least.

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

704Studio said...

Thanks, for sharing that, Melinda, I like the idea of the everyday run.

Have a safe trip, have fun, and don't get sunburned! :)

Anonymous said...

The everyday stuff is the good stuff - couldn't agree more with this attitude toward running. Have a great trip, Melinda!

Michelle